22 June 2006

Horseradish Heaven



A couple weekends ago, we went to Urloffen. Urloffen is a tiny little town of about 4000 people between Offenburg, Germany and Strasbourg, France. In fact, it is small enough that it (administratively) merged with the town of Appenweier, and together the share that name.

Anyway, the sign above announces to the world that Urloffen is a/the "Horseradish Town" (Meerrettich == Horesradish, Ort == Town / Location). The people of Urloffen will tell you how their town is famous for their horseradish, though, to be honest, nobody I have talked to outside of the Offenburg area has heard of Urloffen. (Though, to continue being honest, I may not be pronouncing it right, or they are confused by my American accent).

Jeannette's father comes from Urloffen, and his uncle told me a joke about Urloffen and the famous horseradish salesmen. I can't remember exactly how it goes, but it was something about how when Columbus stumbled upon America, the natives asked him "Did Franz from Urloffen send any Horseradish with you? We're getting a bit low."

Speaking of Jeannette's family, we were in Urloffen for Jeannette's grandmother's 80th birthday party. I got a couple of great pictures of Karl (the jokester mentioned above), Rosa and Jeannette.



1 Comments:

At Thursday, 22 June, 2006 , Blogger Unknown said...

Is that the first picture you have ever taken of me where I didn't have a drink? (Ok, maybe not THE FIRST, but the first where other people have drinks and I don't???)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home