06 May 2008

Starting May with a Bang!

Jeannette's Birthday Convertible.

So, for Jeannette's birthday, we rented a convertible and drove up to the Harz mountains to hang out in Quedlinburg and the surrounding area. It's the first time we have ever been in the state of Sachsen-Anhalt (which, in my humble opinion, translates to "Sexy Hitchhike", but you probably won't find that in a dictionary.)

Free Beer!

We had a lot of fun, because the weather was perfect for a convertible, plus we just happened to be in the right place at the right time for the tapping of the keg for a spring festival that was sparsely attended, so we got to have several free beers. I was a bit surprised, because Jeannette kept saying "Faßanstich" and I thought she meant "Fasanenstich", and I wondered when the birds were coming out. Not that I wanted to see pheasants getting stabbed, but Jeannette seemed excited about it, and it was her birthday so I was rollin' with it. The free beer was a pleasant surprise. (For the non-Germans, the confusion was between "Faßanstich"="keg tapping" instead of "Fasanenstich"="Pheasant Stabbing". For the Germans, I know they don't really sound that much alike, but I like punning, spoonerizing and playing on words in English, and I decided to start trying it in German, too).

Anyway, we had a great weekend, and would write more but dinner is ready, so you'll just have to wait. Here are some pictures to keep you occupied till then.

Golden Field of Rape

Faßanstich at the 1. Quedlinburger Frühlingsfest.

Field of Rape Plants

Peacock

Owl

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

At Friday, 09 May, 2008 , Blogger Just Joey said...

Wow, amazing photos! Is the yellow field canola? I am so glad I got to meet you both while you were back in Iowa. Happy Birthday Jeannette!

 
At Friday, 09 May, 2008 , Blogger Allanimal said...

Hi Jo Ann,

Yeah, it was good to meet you too.

The fields are canola, but they have a different, unfortunate name here. They call 'em Rape plants in Europe. ANd they are everywhere in certain areas, such as in "Sexy Hitchhike" and Thüringia. Not as widespread in Landkreis Heilbronn...

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home