22 October 2006

Why I Want to Live in Ancient Babylon (aka The Pergamon Museum)

After my visit to the Pergamon museum in Berlin, I have decided that I really want to live in ancient Babylon. Why? Well, let me tell you.



First off, they made gates to the city out of this beautiful blue brick and covered them with dragons and lions and bulls. That's so cool. And it gives everyone a good feeling about the place.


This particular gate was dedicated to the goddess Ishtar, and if I remember my teenage days of playing Dungeons and Dragons correctly, thinking specifically of the picture in the D&D book "Deities & Demigods", Ishtar was quite a hottie. All the more reason to move to ancient Babylon.


Grrr!


I didn't bother with the Audio Guide so I can't say for sure, but the ancient Middle East had lots of bird-headed guys running (and flying) around who weren't afraid to carry a purse. That's way cool. Where I grew up, a guy carrying a purse would have been ridiculed. And even more so if he had an eagle head.


Did I mention they have sphinxes? They have sphinxes all right. Any place with sphinxes, especially flying sphinxes, is pretty darn cool in my book.


And their writing was way cool. Even better that they wrote on dirt. And it lasts for centuries! I doubt if this blog will still be here in 1800 years. Either way, you'll probably forget about it in a mere 1800 seconds. Or less.

Labels:

1 Comments:

At Tuesday, 24 October, 2006 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

you make an excellent case for living in Ancient Babylon. The cool writing alone is worth it.

I read somewhere that the best way of preserving writing/records is to etch them into stone; it has the most longevity. I love that the stone tablet is the ultimate historical record. Accessible to anyone with a chisel...

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home