01 April 2006

April Fools...

Well, on April Fools day, it turns out, I am the real fool.

We decided to hop on the train to Karlsruhe, a nearby town that has some cool stuff we hadn't seen yet. The day was mostly beautiful, and we didn't really mind that we were on the slow train - we were out of the house and enjoying ourselves. The 1 1/2 hour train ride didn't seem all that long, and the weather was absolutely gorgeous when we arrived in the Marktplatz. We wandered to the big yellow house -- I mean, palace -- near the Marktplatz, and I started taking pictures of the great architecture with the beautiful blue sky (enhanced by the nice polarizer I got for Christmas). We wandered into the gardens behind the palace, and found a small lake. There were tons of frogs and ducks hanging out, so I decided to snap my rarely-used super zoom lens on the camera and try to capture some nice duck images. Well, I must not have had something lined up right, because the camera would flash "Error" in the viewfinder every time I took a picture. I tried to re-seat the lens, and something just didn't feel right. I tried putting my normal lens back on, and as I was twisting it into place, I could just tell something was wrong. I pulled the two pieces apart, and sure enough, there is a metal whatchamacalit that is bent out of whack. It seems to have scraped up some of the gizmos inside the mega-lens, though my normal lens seems to be OK. But my camera is no longer happy...

There are no Nikon shops in Heilbronn. The best I can do is take it to a department store that sells Nikon point & shoots, and they can send it in for repair. I have been dreading this day since I moved to Germany. The day I try to have a foreign camera and/or lens repaired by the local Nikon service center. I have heard the horror stories of people that were refused service in a country because they bought the camera elsewhere. We'll see on monday what they say...

Well, on the plus side, at least I got a picture of two frogs that thought I was a discovery channel photographer or something. Enjoy this, because it may be the last picture you'll see from me in a while.

1 Comments:

At Tuesday, 11 April, 2006 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

nice pic!! - shel

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home