17 February 2006

Movies

A week ago, I introduced some of my German friends to the movie This is Spinal Tap. I was worried that the humor wouldn't translate well, but I am happy to say that they all enjoyed it a lot. After watching it again, after all these years, it is amazing to me how unaffected by time this movie is. After over 20 years, it is still feels very fresh, with a couple small exceptions (like, albums vs. CDs/internet downloads, or the fact that it probably wouldn't be too smart to try to get thru airport security with a foil-wrapped cucumber in your pants these days).

A couple days ago, we saw Walk the Line, that movie about Johnny Cash. Not sure how big this was in the states, but I had never heard of it until a co-worker of Jeannette's suggested we go. It was quite a good movie. They made it look like Johnny Cash had a hard life. I think that should be blatantly obvious considering he had one of those Liquid Metal T-1000 Terminators for a father.

Thanks to these movies, I have been listening to several Spinal Tap songs (Sex Farm, Big Bottom, Stonehenge, etc.) and a couple Johnny Cash cover songs a lot in the last few days. Firewater's cover of Cash's "Folsom Prison Blues" and Cash's cover of Nine Inch Nails' "Hurt". Both are excellent songs.

2 Comments:

At Friday, 17 February, 2006 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Walk The Line is an Oscar contender here in the States. Erin + I saw it because we're Johnny Cash fans. I thought the first 30 min. or so were rather painfully acted...but it got better. Reese Witherspoon did a nice job, I thought.

 
At Friday, 17 February, 2006 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Cash song I like is "The Wanderer", which combines U2 and Johnny Cash, neither of which I like much in general, to good effect. Huh.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home