31 October 2008

Watching the Stars for 10 Minutes.

Starry Night

This is what happens when you put your camera on a tripod at night in late October in eastern Crete away from (most) light pollution, set the lens to 24mm, angle it towards the sky (around 45 degrees), open the aperture to 2.8, focus on infinity, and leave the shutter open for nearly 10 minutes (583 seconds).

I think Carl Sagan was right about how many stars there are out there. The photo doesn't do it justice, but outside of the city like that, on a clear night, I could believe there are billions and billions and billions of stars out there.

UPDATE: I'm not happy when I reread that last paragraph. I know Carl Sagan is right - there are billions and billions and billions of stars out there. I loved watching his show "Cosmos" on PBS when I was a kid. Living in the city, sometimes I forget that there are more stars than those that make up Orion and the Big Dipper. That night in Crete reminded me how many there are, and it was especially cool to be able to point out the "milky way" to Jeannette, who had never really looked at it before.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

At Friday, 31 October, 2008 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice picture Allan. I need to get back to taking astronomical photos.

Glad you got to see some dark sky in Crete.

 
At Tuesday, 28 June, 2011 , Blogger Eyesofhazel said...

Nice site. Just to let you know. It's "Ich bin Ausländer." Ein is grammatically incorrect. Just as the same error JFK made on his trip to Berlin ;)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home