29 May 2005

It's Over!

Today we ran in the 5th annual Trollinger marathon, though we stuck with the half-marathon which comes in at 21.0975 km, or 13.36 miles for the metrically challenged.

Our training plan did not account for the fact that the big day would check in with the hottest recorded temperature in 75 years. It was an extremely hot 35°C (that's 95°F!), according to one bank we ran by, and quite humid.

But we finished! And, apparently I won, becasue after I crossed the finish line, a young woman in a dirndl put a gold(ish) medal around my neck. I have no idea what's up with the 3500 people in front of me. They must have been disqualified or something.

I will keep my victory speech short. I would like to thank the people of Heilbronn, Sontheim, Flein, Talheim, Horkheim, Klingenberg, Böckingen and everyone in between for cheering us on, hosing us down and providing other forms of cooling & encouragement. Thanks for sticking around for us slow pokes in the back of the pack. I appreciated it, though the sweaty grimace on my face may not have shown it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home